Girl Scout Trip to Savannah

Sitting with Juliette Gordon Low at the gardens in her home
Anna made her first trip to Savannah, Georgia on President's Day weekend. This was the first big trip for her girl scout troop that involved everything from planes, boats, and even a large church van.  Anna earned money to pay for part of the trip, which she made through dog sitting, cookie sales, allowance, Christmas and birthday gifts.  Today, Anna is writing her first blog post with a firsthand account of her Savannah adventures.

Delicious Italian meal after the flight to Savannah
Hello! The first thing I thought when I heard that we were going to Savannah was, "This probably isn't going to happen." Turns out, I was wrong. I ended up having enough money to pay for all my girl scout trips. That also included activities like white water rafting, zip lining, and a lot of other stuff I don't remember. One thing I do remember about all those activities were that all of them were fun. Savannah was definitely the highlight though. At first when we got to the airport, I was a little bit nervous, it was the excited type of nervous though. The first thing I noticed when we got to Savannah was that it was a whole lot brighter down there. We ended up having a 5:00 pm flight so of course it was starting to get dark already. When we landed, it was 6:30 pm and it was still as bright as it would have been if it were 12:00! We got to leave school early to go to the airport. We ended up being there an hour early but I wasn't complaining, we got to leave school early!

At the book festival we discovered with our extra time
Of course we were all tired by the time we got to the hotel, but we still hadn't eaten dinner yet. One of the fun things that our troop leader had us do was organize all the meals. (Except for breakfast because that came with the hotel.) How we did it was we were each assigned a meal for the week and we had to research restaurants for meals and we brought a menu to the meal meeting and everyone chose what they wanted so we could pre-order the food. I had the easiest meal because I had the lunch the day we went to Tybee Island and the closest place to where we were was IGA. My friend Maggie was in charge of dinner after the flight to Savannah. She chose an amazing Italian restaurant. I had margarita pizza and spanikopita. If you don't know what spanikopita is, it is a flaky pastrie filled with spinach and feta cheese. My friends were teasing me saying I'm so Italian and I was just telling them that they're just jealous they don't know what it is. (Just a heads up, spanikopita is actually Greek. Don't know what the Italian restaurant was thinking there.) 

Random snow cone truck at the book festival

We also went on a boat ride to see wild dolphins. We ended up seeing a whole family of them! We also got to ride a party boat to look for the dolphins. To get around from place to place, we rented a church van, complete with flashing rainbow lights and 80's music! Our driver was really nice too. (That's right, we had a driver!) The main highlight of this trip was the food. My friend Hannah chose a diner that had avocado toast! Also, the other Maggie chose a make-your-own-pizza place that was really good. We also went to see the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low. If you don't know who that is, she was the founder of girl scouts. Now you can probably see why I went on this trip in the first place. We also went to see the first headquarters of the girl scouts. Fun fact: when the girl scouts were formed, they were actually called girl guides. Back then, the girl scouts also did a bunch of things we don't do today. The one that catches my attention the most is the morse code. (I know what you're thinking, they taught the girls morse code!) I'm glad they don't teach us that now because that would be useless now. Anyways, I'm probably boring you by now so I'll hand it back over to my mom!

A BIG thanks to Mrs. Crishock, the troop leader, along with Nurse Philappart and Mrs. Bray for chaperoning the trip!  It was a great learning opportunity for the girl and they enjoyed it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swimming with the Lakevale Dolphins

Camp Coles Trip & June Birthdays

Thanksgiving in New Jersey